Graduate Software Engineer
Mindsets (UK) Limited, Saffron Walden
Start date: ASAP
Salary: circa £25,000 per year (dependent on knowledge and experience)
Job type: Full-time
This post is funded for one year by the British Geological Survey to develop firmware and software for a flexible low-power datalogger. We intend to extend the post beyond one year, subject to business circumstances.
We are looking for a software/firmware developer for a role that would suit a recent graduate. We anticipate that, for the first six months, most of the employee’s time will be taken up by one project. This project will involve creating a software layer for an ARM Cortex based datalogger that will enable programmers at BGS to maintain the higher-level functionality without any specialist embedded electronics knowledge. A successful candidate will need to have good communication skills as they will be heavily involved in the handover process.
Mindsets (UK) Ltd supplies unique and innovative science and technology products to schools and other educators. We design and manufacture many of these resources in-house. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to future product design.
We are a small and flexible team, so you may also be required to assist with other roles such as customer support. The ideal candidate would already have a strong interest in STEM education and will be given the opportunity to grow their role within the company.
- Writing and debugging C/C++ code for ARM Cortex and other microcontrollers
- Basic desktop/web application development
- Writing internal and user documentation
- Handing over to and supporting the client’s software engineers
- Input into product design
- Customer technical support
- BSc Honours degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering or other relevant field.
- Ability to write firmware in C and C++
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- Ability to read and understand schematic diagrams
- Knowledge of electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, signal generators, DVMs etc.) in order to test and debug circuits
- Electronics hardware design experience
- Experience of desktop application development
- Experience with ARM, PIC and AVR microcontrollers
- Some knowledge of analogue electronics
- Involvement in Maker/Hobbyist/Education community
Other Duties and Opportunities
- Customer support
- Product design
- Blogs, video content, attending exhibitions and events
- Experience of SMT electronics manufacturing and DFM (since merging with Redfern Electronics Limited we run a Pick and Place line on-site)
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org